Daily Thought For October 1, 2014

A Transparent Vessel 

"Woe unto you, lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering you hindered. " 

Jesus addresses this warning to me: I must not manipulate God's truth. Some people are self-proclaimed owners of truth. They are the only ones who can understand and comment on God's law and word. They put the truth at the service of their personal interests, and whoever dares to upset their way of living transgresses God's law. Today, as yesterday, this is a danger that threatens the Church. 

I must examine myself: am I transparent enough to allow the Lord's message to move through me and to be the faithful transmitter of the truth in every detail? Or do I deform the truth by altering its requirements, rewriting certain aspects, arranging it according to my own needs, warping, disguising, or blurring it- then embroidering an attractive design to cover my manipulation? 

Lord, 
I want to be your faithful messenger with those who have suffered 
for bearing witness to you, 
with those who have been persecuted
for having followed your way, 
the traditional destiny reserved for your prophets. 



from Prayers of Hope—Words of Courage by Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyễn Văn Thuận p. 101

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016