Daily Thought For December 22, 2015

Declare The Greatness of the Lord

Lectio

Luke 1:46–56

Meditatio

  “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.…”

These words from Luke resonate so well with our hopes and desires. They express the universal experience encountered by one who has met the Lord Mary begins, “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.…” And every line that follows echoes this proclamation. It is a song about the Lord, not about her, as her life is about the Lord.

We too can pray these words from the depths of our soul as Mary does. When God becomes the center of our lives, when we recognize God as the protagonist, the Giver of all we have, and Provider for our every need, we too can step aside to let him lead us. Then we spontaneously praise God for such undeserved and abundant care.

With faith to guide us, each of us could write a unique magnificat. How has the Lord blessed me? Let me proclaim the ways! I too can recognize that I am a “lowly servant,” one who doesn’t count for much in the eyes of society, but that God has looked upon me with favor and become my Savior. As I look back on my life with the eyes of faith and consider my life today, I can rejoice that whatever my need, God has been there to provide for me. God will always be there.

As I look back in faith, I see that God has shown me mercy in the many times I have received healing through the sacrament of Penance, in the good health and other blessings I and my loved ones have received, in the opportunities for growth through the painful events of life.

God has been at work even in circumstances that allowed me to be “thrown down” or when I was “arrogant of mind and heart.” But I have always been “lifted up” anew. When I have been self-satisfied, God has allowed me to lack the affirmation or applause I would have liked. Instead, when I willingly allow others to shine, the Lord provides without hesitation.

Oratio

Lord God, help me to see only and always with the eyes of faith. You are at work in my life, in the lives of my loved ones, and in every circumstance I encounter. Help me trust that you will always bring good out of each moment, even if I am presently unable to see it. Help me to believe that your love for me is far more powerful than anything I may encounter.

Mary, you who recognized God’s goodness even in your most difficult sufferings, help me to believe with your faith.

Contemplatio

Lord, at all times and in every circumstance may I proclaim your greatness.


Daughters of Saint Paul. (2009). Advent Grace: Daily Gospel Reflections (pp. 74–75). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016