Daily Thought For December 2, 2015

The Peace That Surpasses Understanding

MY PEACE IS SUCH AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING GIFT THAT IT IS INDEPENDENT OF CIRCUMSTANCES. Though you lose everything else, if you gain My Peace you are rich indeed. 

Let that be a deep comfort to you, especially amid the many aspects of your life over which you have no control! When you are feeling at the mercy of your circumstances, My all-encompassing Peace is exactly what you need, even though you sometimes feel unable to receive it. Perhaps that is because you cling to other things-your loved ones, your possessions, your reputation. It's as if you are wrapping your fingers tightly around a small copper coin while I am offering you unlimited supplies of pure gold. My desire is to help you treasure My Peace above everything in the world-recognizing it as a supernatural gift, bequeathed to My followers shortly before My death. 

A man who knows he will soon die wants to leave something precious with those he loves. Therefore, I "willed" My Peace to My disciples and all who would follow Me. I knew this was a difficult gift to accept, especially in the midst of adversity. So, after My resurrection, the first words I spoke to My disciples were "Peace be with you!" They needed this reassurance to reinforce what I taught them before I died. You also need to be reminded of the divine nature of this gift, for it is not the world's peace I give you: It is Peace that transcends all understanding! 

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  
JOHN 14:27 

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 
JOHN 20:19 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

PHILIPPIANS 4:6-7 


from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young pp. 116-117

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016