Daily Thought for March 16, 2022

 What Do You Wish? 


Lectio

Matthew 20:17–28

Meditatio

“What do you wish?”

Throughout the Gospels Jesus knows what people are thinking or saying among themselves without having to ask them. Why then does he ask the mother of Zebedee’s sons what she wants? Surely he already knows that she wishes honor for her sons.

I think Jesus asks her so that she can voice her desire. Then this becomes a way he can enter into conversation with her so as to guide her to a different way of thinking. The exchange begins by this simple woman telling Jesus what she wants for her children. She is not concerned about what will happen to Peter or Nathaniel—her concern revolves around what pertains to her. Jesus’ response will help her to stretch her mind and heart.

The “all about me” attitude that is prevalent in our day and age is not new. Here it is played out among the disciples of Jesus. To this mother’s request Jesus responds that he is guided by the will of the Father. Jesus always defers and looks to what the Father wants or wishes, and he invites us to do the same. As Jesus speaks to the twelve he points out that the will of God is not the “all about me” attitude; rather, it is the “all about the other and God” attitude.

God is always open to hear what we wish. We pray for loved ones, for our needs and theirs; we may even pray in thanksgiving. But prayer is a communication from us to God and from God to us. We are invited in this conversation to ask, “God, what do you wish me to do in this situation?” “Lord, what is your will for me today?” As Jesus points out, we are called to be servants. To discover how and in what capacity we are being specifically asked to serve we must ask, “What do you wish, Lord?”

Oratio

Master, you can read the desires and needs of my heart better than I can give voice to them. I trust in your greater wisdom knowing that your wish for me is fullness of life for both my brothers and sisters and myself. Therefore, I ask you to give me today what you wish—what you perceive to be my deepest need. Guide me in the choices of this day so that your wish, your will, be done in me and through me. Whatever you wish, Master, that is my wish today.

Contemplatio

“Not to be served but to serve.”

Daughters of Saint Paul, Lenten Grace: Daily Gospel Reflections (Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media, 2008), 42–43.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016