Daily Thought For December 28, 2021

 Hope In The Midst of Tragedy

Lectio

Matthew 2:13–18

Meditatio

“Joseph rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed for Egypt.”

Matthew’s Gospel is the only Gospel that includes the account of the slaughter of the Holy Innocents and the flight of the Holy Family into Egypt. In choosing to include it, he foreshadows the cross from the start, reminding us that Jesus did not avoid our human suffering and pain—he was born right in the midst of it! Forced to flee into Egypt as refugees to escape the heinous and unjust actions of a historically cruel king, the Holy Family knew what it was to live in our imperfect and often dark world. They, too, suffered injustice and experienced the loneliness of being far from home.

In a world where headlines often tell of war, terror, persecution, and even genocide, we are painfully aware that our world is no more peaceful and utopian now than it was then. Political strife and injustice can be found on every side, and mothers continue to weep inconsolably for their children, born and unborn. This world torn with darkness and pain prods each one of us to question the areas of our own life where we may be contributing to violence, in any of its forms—through prejudice, lack of forgiveness, hatred, discrimination … No one of us is fully innocent. Each of us has places in our hearts that need the healing touch of the Christ Child.

And yet, ultimately, I believe Matthew relates these tragic events surrounding the birth of Christ to give us hope. Into the deep darkness of this night of sobbing and lamentation, when the cries of many mothers can be heard “weeping for … children” who are no more, the Christ has come. At the moment when we least expect it, our Deliverer, who will lead us to new freedom and hope, is born. Light has come into the world, and the darkness cannot overcome it.

Oratio

Dear Lord, as I look back over the course of my own life, I am aware of my own areas of darkness and pain … perhaps even times when I felt abandoned or alone. I ask you to show me now how you were present in my moments of greatest suffering, bringing light into what may have seemed like total darkness. As I seek your presence there in the dark, I also ask you to reveal to me how I can bring that presence into our world today. Teach me how to radiate your peace and your love, so that I can become a source of your light for all who mourn.

Contemplatio

You are the Light of the World.

Daughters of Saint Paul. (2009). Advent Grace: Daily Gospel Reflections (pp. 88–89). Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016