Daily Thought For March 9, 2017

Cast Your Cares Upon Him

Lectio
Matthew 7:7–12
Meditatio
“Ask and it will be given to you …”
We have heard or read these words countless times—at Mass, on a retreat, reading Scripture. Their very familiarity could make them lose their impact unless we really think about them.
I once met a young woman who was not very religious. We were talking about the Bible, and I was amazed when she quoted this passage and told me that she tried to live her life by these words. She confided that she had been searching for meaning in her life and one day read this saying of Jesus. It struck her, and she found in it an answer to her yearning. She realized that God was the one she had been searching for, and that she could trust in God and his promises.
Jesus understands our needs, desires, and wants. How can we not be touched by Jesus’ assurance that he hears us knocking and he sees us searching? This is not the only place in Scripture where Jesus makes this promise. For example, Jesus says in the Gospel of John, “whatever you ask in my name, I will do …” And he immediately repeats himself: “you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it” (Jn 14:13–14). And again, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you” (Jn 15:7); “whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you” (Jn 15:16). He even says, sounding almost as if he is longing for us to ask for our heart’s desire: “Until now you have not asked anything in my name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete” (Jn 16:24).
These words of Jesus strengthen our faith, making it a vital force in our lives. They are a true source of joy and hope, comfort and courage, inspiration and direction.
Oratio
Lord, help me always to place my faith and trust in you. Help me always to believe in your words and promises, confident that you will grant what I need for my spiritual good. Help me especially to remember your promise when I find myself overly anxious about my needs or the needs of those I love. Instead of fretting, I want to remember to turn to you and remind us both of what you have said: “it will be done for you.”
Contemplatio
“Whatever you ask in my name, I will do.”


 Daughters of Saint Paul. (2008). Lenten Grace: Daily Gospel Reflections (pp. 26–27). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016