Daily Thought For October 13, 2021

 Focus On The Great Commandment


Lectio

Luke 11:42–46

Meditatio

“These you should have done, without overlooking the others.”

Sometimes I get so caught up in details that I miss the big picture. This can be helpful when I need to focus. But it can also be a problem if I’m so focused that I miss the opportunities to serve others that God shows me right now. Jesus is talking about this with the Pharisees and scholars of the Law. In this instance they are following the law of paying certain tithes, but are not giving attention to the greatest commandment of all, love for God.

In building a house, the interior design is important, but the foundation and walls have to be put up first! If the foundation is not solid, then the rest of the house cannot stand. Jesus acknowledges that tithes should be paid, but we can’t overlook the most important laws: love of God and neighbor. Sometimes the good that we choose to do can be self-serving and lead us to rely on ourselves. Jesus offers us the joy and strength to follow his way of surrender to the Father in self-giving love. It is a matter of tuning in to the heart of God and trying to live and love with God’s heart.

Our day is full of moments in which we need to discern our priorities. What should I give my attention to now? Am I cramming too many events, meetings, and projects into my schedule? Am I losing sight of the big picture? Discernment helps us look at our daily tasks with a desire to truly do what God desires. I can get into a routine of doing a lot of good and productive things, but then lose sight of God’s call in my life to be a servant and lover of humanity. When I lose sight of what God is calling me to, I can end up following my own way, doing the things that seem most important, without truly seeing what is important to God. But, through daily prayer, I can stay in tune with God and the needs of the world around me.

Oratio

Jesus, thank you for reminding me of the greatest commandments of all—love for God and neighbor. In the midst of my busy day, help me to continuously notice your movements in me and your call to be a servant. Help me to notice the needs of those around me throughout the day and to respond with a great and selfless love. Thank you for your love for me and for calling me to love.

Contemplatio

Here I am, O Lord. I come to do your will (see Heb 10:7).

Daughters of St. Paul. (2011). Ordinary Grace Weeks 18–34: Daily Gospel Reflections. (M. G. Dateno & M. L. Trouvé, Eds.) (pp. 196–197). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016