Daily Thought For April 27, 2020

The Grace & Joy of Adoration

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. (Rev 3:20)

 Fear is the great obstacle in interior prayer. Prayer, and Eucharistic adoration in particular, is a dangerous transaction because it threatens the state of mediocrity into which one has settled. In adoration I act upon the soul directly: the soul is exposed to Me in her poverty, her nakedness, and all her sins. 

Adoration gives Me the space in which to work in a soul. It is the great corrective for those who, by their personality and character, are in constant movement and ever restless. Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46:10) Open to Me the door of your heart and I will enter therein. (Rev 3:20; Song 5:2; Ps 23(24):7–10.0) I will show you My Face and reveal to you the thoughts of My Heart. I will converse with you face-to-face, as a man converses with his dearest friend. There are those who go through life keeping Me at a distance because they fear what I might do should they allow Me to come close to them. 

These souls do not yet know Me, for if they knew Me, they would know that I am love, and that all that I do is love. Eucharistic adoration is the remedy for the fear that keeps souls at a distance from Me. Why? Because it obliges one to stop, to quiet oneself with one’s impulses, thoughts, desires, and projects, to abide close to Me, and to learn from Me that I am meek and humble of heart. (Ps 45:9–12 (46:8–11); Matt 11:29.) In adoration, one who labors for Me will find rest and refreshment for his soul. 

A little reading during adoration is not a bad thing; it can dispose the soul to listening to Me directly when I speak to the heart.


Monk, A Benedictine. In Sinu Jesu: When Heart Speaks to Heart--The Journal of a Priest at Prayer (pp. 223-224). Angelico Press. Kindle Edition. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016