Daily Thought For August 13, 2019

Trust In God Alone

Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

But don't I need to rely on my own strength too? 

Padre Pio's assurance: "A soul who felt its weakness and had recourse to God for help has never fallen. On the contrary, the soul is only defeated and overcome when, trusting in what it believes to be its abundant strength, thinks it can always sustain and bear temptations. Thus, it happens that the poor thing, out of presumption, believing it was touching the heavens, suddenly finds itself falling right to the doors of hell. 

"Trust, therefore, and take heart. Don't let Satan's prolonged war frighten you; don't lose heart at the weakness you feel, because the soul that fears does not trust [itself], but stays awake and prays because of its weakness, and thus it becomes strong. But on the contrary, as unfailingly happens to those who trust in themselves, as if they were a god, they don't have to wait long before experiencing their miseries and weakness. 

"Do not fear, but rather have greater confidence in divine mercy. Humble yourself before our merciful God and thank him for all the favors he wants to grant you, and for all those he has granted you up to the present." 


Lord, don't ever let me rely on my own strength; help me to always rely on yours. Thank you for everything you've done - and will do - for me. Amen. 

from Padre Pio's Words of Hope edited by Eileen Dunn Bertanzetti p. 130. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016