Daily Thought For March 27, 2019

The Beautiful Power Of A Simple "Yes"

Sometimes I've been asked how it feels to have been at Duquesne when a tiny handful of Catholics were baptized in the Spirit in 1967, and to witness today the spread of the Charismatic Renewal around the world. My answer may surprise you. I feel very humbled, and I feel very united to Mary, the Mother of Jesus. In some mysterious but very real way, I have been caught up in Mary's response to God. It's amazing to see what the ''yes'' of this one simple woman could do! Mary said ''yes''when the Holy Spirit overshadowed her and as a result Jesus, the Savior of the whole world, was born. Mankind's salvation hinged on the activity of the Holy Spirit and the response of a creature. Mary's ''yes''was essential for the unfolding of God's plan, and so is yours and mine. 

Each one of us who says "yes" to God when the Holy Spirit overshadows us becomes like Mary, another Mary, a dwelling place for Jesus. Our mission now is to bring forth Jesus to the world. My call, your call, is like Mary's call ... to embrace and welcome the action of the Holy Spirit, to offer him no resistance, so that Jesus Christ may be born in us and manifested to the world! To know that my "yes" to God has impacted other lives in some way is humbling, because I know how insignificant I am. Yes, "God who is mighty has done great things for me and holy is his name" (Lk. 1:49). 

I close with these beautiful words of St. Paul: "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him, God has revealed to us through the Spirit" (1 Cor. 2:9-10). 

from As By A New Pentecost by Patti Gallagher Mansfield p.113

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016