Daily Thought For December 23, 2018

Cause For Our Joy!


Lectio

Luke 1:39–45

Meditatio

“For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the infant in my womb leaped for joy.”

One of the time-honored titles for Mary is Cause of Our Joy. Do you know anyone who has been a cause of joy to you? Someone who lights up your day just by being present? Someone who always seems to have a kind word and who leaves your heart feeling lighter? Mary is like that. When we let her into our life as disciples of her Son, she brings joy and peace to our hearts. And she never comes alone. She always brings Jesus.

The Gospel tells us that Mary went “in haste” to visit Elizabeth. She knew that the older woman was approaching the last part of her pregnancy and would need help. So without thinking about her own needs, Mary hurries to help Elizabeth. Could we possibly think Mary is any different now? No! In heaven she intercedes for us, and she still hurries to help us in all of our needs.

In these final days before Christmas, it’s easy to get swept into hectic last-minute shopping, parties, and errands. These can take our focus away from Jesus. In the midst of all the chaos, take just a few minutes and spend them quietly with Mary. Close your eyes, breathe quietly, focusing on your heart, and imagine that Mary is there with you. Just feel grateful for her presence, for coming to you, for bringing us Jesus. Ask her to show you how you can bring joy to others, just as she did throughout her life on earth. Then listen. Mary will whisper the answer in your heart. Like Elizabeth, we might ask, “And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?” It happens because Mary cares about us.

Oratio

Mary, my Mother, I turn to you with great trust, and I ask you for the help I need right now. You who are the Cause of Our Joy, come and bring joy and peace into my life and the lives of all my loved ones. Teach me to act as you did, to be attentive to the needs of others, and to be willing to give of myself. In everything I do, may I be a mirror that reflects the image of your Son, Jesus.

Contemplatio

“And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?”


Daughters of Saint Paul. (2009). Advent Grace: Daily Gospel Reflections (pp. 62–63). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016