Daily Thought For November 4, 2017

Love Is The Answer

Lectio

Luke 14:1, 7–11

Meditatio

“On a sabbath Jesus went to dine at the home of the one of the leading Pharisees.…”

Jesus, why do you eat at the house of a Pharisee? What are you thinking? You have denounced the hypocrisy of the Pharisees and reproached the scribes and lawyers. They have been setting traps for you, hoping to get rid of you. They are clearly set against you. Why do you go to the house of a Pharisee to share the intimacy of a meal? I can’t fathom it. How do you act there? Did you plan what to say? Did you think of some great remarks that would outwit your host? Did you come up with backhanded complements or sarcastic remarks that would beat them at their own game? Why did you walk into the hornet’s nest? They are observing you. How can you eat under that scrutiny?

I can’t understand, Jesus, because I wouldn’t have been able to do it. There are some people I don’t like—family members who don’t talk to me, colleagues I don’t get along with, difficult neighbors. I couldn’t just sit down to eat with them. I would feel such anger in my heart. My mind would be racing with things I would like to say to them. I would be rehearsing how to tell them off or defend myself. I would be stilted, uneasy, and maybe even unpleasant. I try to steer clear of anyone who upsets me. Some days just thinking of them gets my blood boiling. How do you do it? It seems so natural: you go to dine at the home of one of the Pharisees.

I understand: Love is the answer. Even though they seek your life and make your life difficult, you love them. You have nothing to hide. You seek their well-being. You promote the possibility of their growth. You give them every chance possible to hear, to listen, to trust, to obey. Your word convicts me, Lord.

Oratio

Jesus, this moment is decisive for the rest of my life. Today I begin to love my enemies, to love those I disagree with or who disagree with me. I start to love those who offend me or whom I don’t like. I will begin today to love the colleagues I don’t get along with and those who refuse to talk to me. I love those who report me and make my life miserable. And one day may I have the grace and the joy of sitting down with each of these persons at the eternal feast laid out in heaven for your children. Amen.

Contemplatio

Today I gaze on the mystery of the way you loved.


Daughters of St. Paul. (2011). Ordinary Grace Weeks 18–34: Daily Gospel Reflections. (M. G. Dateno & M. L. Trouvé, Eds.) (pp. 238–239). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016