Daily Thought For June 26, 2015

Jesus Our Divine Physician 


Lectio

Matthew 8:1–4

Meditatio

“Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.”

I open the sacred text today and step into it, knowing that this story of salvation is also my story. It’s easy to immediately get caught up in today’s reading. I begin by watching Jesus as he comes down the mountain. I join the ranks of the great crowds following him, and keep my eyes and heart open.

An outcast approaches Jesus—a leper. The crowd draws back in fear of the disease. I hear the man with leprosy simply say “if you wish, you can.…” It would be such an ordinary request if it weren’t a healing that he wanted! For Jesus though, it is a simple matter. “I will do it,” and it’s done, just like that. The leper is cured immediately, so great is Jesus’ power to heal.

I dwell on the leper’s words, “Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.” This phrase is so powerful, packed with so much confidence. “If you wish” presupposes that the one making the request believes that the Lord does care, does really desire one’s good. In this case, it is to be made clean. We have so many things to be cleansed of! They could be outright sin, unhelpful attitudes, or a myriad of other possible burdens.

How many times have I asked the Teacher to cleanse me, desiring renewed wholeness through the sacrament of Reconciliation! I have requested this in words similar to the leper’s, desiring pardon or asking for any needed healing of body, mind, or spirit.

Yes, Lord, you can make me clean. The leper in the Gospel story has walked away, and I stand there in his place, looking up expectantly. I know that you can do this. I trust that you want to do this. I just need the faith today to see how you are working in my life, making me clean. No one desires my good as much as you do.

Oratio

Lord, thank you for your love for me. No one is as much on my side as you are. You keep on working on me, consistently, fashioning me into a true disciple who looks to you to teach me through everything that happens. I trust that you will help me keep my heart open to you so you can continually mold me in your divine image. In all the circumstances of my life, you are with me. Thank you for walking with me.

Contemplatio

I know that the Lord desires my good. I delight in his care.



Daughters of St. Paul. (2011). Ordinary Grace Weeks 1–17: Daily Gospel Reflections. (M. G. Dateno & M. L. Trouvé, Eds.) (pp. 212–213). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016