Daily Thought For July 19, 2014

In His Name Is Hope

     Others may look for happiness from their riches or their talents; they may rely upon the innocence of their lives, the rigor of their penance, the number of their good works, or the fervor of their prayers; but for me, O Lord, my confidence shall be my confidence itself. For you have wonderfully established me in hope. 
     This confidence has never deceived anyone. No one has hoped in the Lord and been put to shame. I am sure that I shall be eternally happy, because I hope firmly to be so, and it is from you, O Lord, that I hope it. In you, O Lord, have I hoped; I shall not be confounded for ever. 
     I know that I am frail and changeable; I know the power of temptation against the most firmly based virtues: I have seen the stars of heaven and the pillars of the firmament fall; but not even this can make me fear. As long as I hope, I am safe from every evil, and I am sure of always hoping because I hope for this unchanging hope. For you, O Lord, have wonderfully established me in hope. 
     In fine, I am sure that I cannot hope too much in you; and that I cannot obtain less than I hope for from you. Thus I hope that you will uphold me in the greatest dangers, protect me in the most violent assaults, and make my weakness triumph over my most formidable enemies. I hope that you will love me always and that I also shall love you with unfailing love; and to carry my hope at once as far as it can go, I hope for you from yourself, my Creator, both in time and in eternity. 


SAINT CLAUDE DE LA COLOMBIERE 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022