Daily Thought For July 20, 2016

Anyone Who Has Ears Ought To Hear

Lectio

Matthew 13:1–9

Meditatio

“And [Jesus] spoke to them at length in parables …”

I picture the day in my mind’s eye: the blue sky, the rocky shore, the waves bobbing the boat that holds Jesus, the crowd of people hanging on his words. Jesus speaks, and his words float out over the crowd like a soft breeze of the Spirit.

What refreshment the teaching of Jesus gives these people, whose lives are burdened with cares, sickness, financial worries, even the tragedies that can stop a person cold with heartbreak.… They feel as if Jesus is addressing them individually, and really, he is. Jesus’ Good News is miraculous in many ways. But the way it has penetrated to the hearts of people all over the world through the ages is a miracle that goes on continually.

I think of the way my life was changed as I heard or read Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount or his seven last words from the cross. For a moment, I feel a sense of connection with Jesus’ audience on that shore in Palestine.

Jesus preferred parables when teaching the people, who could easily learn to use the book of nature as a springboard to the deep realities that he presented. I can do this, too. The Holy Spirit’s gift of understanding helps me to go in faith from created realities to their Creator.

Then the “soil” of my soul will be fertile ground for the seed of the Good News that the Lord sows in my life.

Oratio

Jesus, enlighten me with the wisdom of your Gospel, you who alone have the words of everlasting life. Help me to be good soil for the seed of your teaching. Nourish that seed with your grace, so that it will grow and flourish as I resolve to live for your kingdom.

Contemplatio

“Whoever has ears ought to hear.”


Daughters of St. Paul. (2011). Ordinary Grace Weeks 1–17: Daily Gospel Reflections. (M. G. Dateno & M. L. Trouvé, Eds.) (pp. 280–281). Boston, MA: Pauline Books & Media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016