Daily Thought For September 25, 2014

Meeting God in God's Word

In God's presence, during a recollected reading of the Bible, it is good to ask, for example: "Lord, what does this text say to me? What is it about my life that you want to change by this text? What troubles me about this text? Why am I not interested in this? Or perhaps: What do I find pleasant in this text? What is is about this word that moves me? What attracts me? Why does it attract me?" 

But even when we make an effort to listen to the Lord, some common temptations can arise. One of them is simply to feel troubled or burdened, and to turn away. Another is to think about what the text means for other people, and so avoid applying it to our own life. Or we might look for excuses to water down the clear meaning of the text. Or we can wonder if God is demanding too much of us, asking for a decision that we are not yet prepared to make. 

This leads many people to stop taking pleasure in the encounter with God's word. But God always invites us to take a step forward and does not demand a full response if we are not yet ready. God simply asks that we sincerely look at our life and present ourselves honestly before him, and that we be willing to continue to grow, asking from him what we ourselves cannot as yet achieve. 

Pope Francis

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Thought For May 12, 2016

Daily Thought For October 23, 2022